Tuesday, June 12, 2007

An Essential Book on Food

The Oxford Companion to Food
by Alan Davidson
Oxford University Press
1999

I've been having such a wonderful time with this book that I just had to write about it. I've been talking the ear off anyone I can find because, after all, who wouldn't be interested in the culinary uses of limpets or the history of pasta? This book is so much fun to read through. I've found out all about the domestication of artichokes - something I've always wondered about and the distinct differences in cuisine between the three Baltic states (that would be Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia).

Did you know that the notion that Marco Polo brought pasta back to Europe from China is a culinary myth? I had no idea.

There are no recipes at all - this is no common cookery book. Mr. Davidson does, however, mention the authors of other books in almost every entry so that a dedicated person (such as myself) could find the recipes we want for say "Coronation Chicken" or the uses of Gammelost (a hard Norweigan cheese). Each entry is no mere listing of interesting facts and descriptions but is also written in a witty way that is a lot of fun without being cutsey or cloying. I could sit down on the sofa and read this book for hours... who am I kidding, I have done that!

I grabbed it off the shelf one day at the library because it looked like fun (I really know how to have a good time wouldn't you say?!) and it has been life changing. I have to admit that this book does not make good bedtime reading since it weighs in at about 15 pounds. It is also not an inexpensive book either - $44.20 at Amazon... but you qualify for free shipping.

I think I'm going to become a culinary historian.
Sounds like fun.

1 comment:

kel said...

Sounds like there's a new addition to my summer reading list! Kel ;-]