Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Lonely Girl Sauce

Technically, this is a recipe for a salad dressing, but I love this potent, tangy sauce so much I've been putting it on everything. I spooned it on warm linguine with fresh basil and it was delicious. It added pizzaz to steamed broccoli. Spooned over grilled fish. Oh yah, and it is great on a salad. So what's the downside? Or said another way: Why the name? Well there are only five ingredients and the first two are raw garlic and anchovies. Once you make the sauce, however you would be hard pressed to identify that anchovies were in there, but those salty little fish add heft and umami and really make it work so don't even think about leaving them out. This works best if you can get all the adults at the table - or at a minimum your significant other - to eat a lot of garlic along with you that way no one really be able to tell how strong you smell... except the mosquitos. One delightful side-effect of eating a lot of garlic in the summer: it keeps the mosquitos away.

The first time I made it I followed the directions and minced the garlic and anchovies together with my chef's knife until they were a rough paste, but now I just throw it all in the blender (more or less) and it comes out perfect with a lot less work.

Lonely Girl Sauce
--------------

1-4 garlic cloves, minced
6 anchovy fillets
2 1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
7-8 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

In a blender, combine garlic, anchovies and lemon juice plus a pinch of salt. Puree. With blender on low speed, pour in a slow stream of olive oil. Blend on high until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste. This will last several days in the refrigerator.

2 comments:

Doctor B said...

Forgive me, but it's the DJ in me! When I saw the name for this recipe, I immediately flashed on the old Eddie Holman track from the 70's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1DNsj_IJg8

I found this blog while looking for recipes for dairy-free desserts. You've got some interesting recipes here (including the one above). I look forward to seeing many more!

megan said...

hmm...it sounds interesting, but I don't know if I can get past the anchovies!