Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Those wonderful Earthquake Cookies

My friend Mary Ann has done it again! She was with me last week when we tried these little deadlies at Sofra and thought they were the cat's pajamas... and now she's has searched the web trying to find a recipe that replicates them and she's already tested out two recipes. Amazing. All that productivity while I was just starting to lean back and contemplate a drive back over to Sofra to buy more cookies...

So here's the link to the better of the two recipes:

http://www.ouichefnetwork.com/oui_chef/2010/02/chocolate-earthquake-cookies.html

This blogger is bent on improvement so this recipe may change over time and become even better. As of right now it is very good and pretty darn close to the original, but falls short in moistness... the centers of the original cookie was soft and fudgelike (I mean that in the nicest way).

I'll be trying these soon myself... well, after I finish off the bag that Mary Ann gave me.

Yum!

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
7/2/10

I made this recipe yesterday and baked them today and I felt pretty happy with the outcome. I made a few modifications to the recipe, however, that I'm just going to document here for my own handy reference.


substituted 4 tablespoons EVOO for butter
substituted white whole wheat flour for all-purpose flour
I used a mixture of chocolates to make up the 12 oz. - some unsweetened Scharffen-Bergen with (4 oz) with 5 teaspoons of Turbindo sugar added, some Lindt dark chocolate and some 70% dark chocolate chips.

I baked the cookies for 15 minutes.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We just got back from a weekend in Boston and made two stops at Sofra...one on our way to our destination and then one on the way home. We love everything we tried there, mostly the Mezze platter and an assortment of baked goodies. We took home a pack of the Earthquake cookies and I am now obsessed with finding a recipe to duplicate these at home. May just have to move to Cambridge...