Sunday, March 18, 2007

Redendo's Pizzeria & Pasta, Fountain Hills AZ

Redendo's
Pizzeria & Pasta
New York City
circa 1940s

Fountain Hills, AZ
480-816-1356

We'd been traveling in Northern Arizona for four days and I was tired of chili that stayed with me all day (and night) and burgers and fries. We'd somehow missed lunch between Tonto National Monument and Scottsdale and it was now 3:00pm and we were all starving and getting cranky. I was trying to gently nudge my family unit toward Subway - it always seems the least objectional fast food destination, but my husband saw a big sign in a strip mall that said "Pizza and Pasta" and he turned toward it. (sigh)... I wasn't expecting much.

We'd already had pretentious and mediocre pizza at Picazzo's in Sedona - overpriced and not very good. This place looked like mediocre pizza at best with the added bonus of at least not being over priced. Boy was I wrong.

They had homemade pesto with Pecorino Romano. They had a choice of cheese and they made me an excellent pizza with goat cheese, spinach, sauteed mushrooms, artichokes and kalamata olives. It was amazing. The girls had a cheese pizza which they loved. My husband had a giant Greek salad covered with two kinds of olives, roasted red peppers, feta, tomatoes... it was amazing.

I realized that this place was a great find about halfway through my third slice of pizza and so I resolved that I must try their homemade tiramisu. It was wonderful - a tiramisu to write home about for sure.

This is not the stylish neopolitan style pizza, but real "old fashioned" New York style crust that is thick and crunchy and substantial around the outer edge of the pie... not super thin, but toothsome and delicious.

I highly recommend this place for the next time you are passing through Fountain Hills and are ready for a really good meal.

1 comment:

Chef Anthony Redendo said...

I want to thank you Sara for the kind words about our pizzeria. I am so glad Redendo's made your day. I know reading your wonderful review has really made my day!

-Chef Anthony