Thursday, April 12, 2007

However am I going to eat all of those hard boiled eggs?

I have about 14 hard boiled eggs in my refrigerator right now. They are beautifully decorated and dyed, but eventually I will have to find a way to eat them all. Throwing away food at my house is just not an option. They must be eaten, but what kind of options are there?

The obvious:

Peeled and sprinkled with freshly ground sea salt and black pepper a hardboiled egg is delicious and nutrious. It is loaded with protein (that is in the white) and iron (in the yolk). One large egg contains about 10 grams of fat - all in the yolk.

Quartered on a salad... nicoise or otherwise, hard cooked eggs are great on a salad.

Deviled eggs, of course, but you really need a party to get them all eaten and this is not a big party week.

Egg salad is obvious, but I've never actually eaten it myself. I saw a recipe for it though that called for eight hard cooked eggs and suddenly I thought it might be worth trying - it certainly would use up most of my problem.

The obscure:

Beet Soup - grate beets and onions into a large pot, add water, simmer then refrigerate. Once cool add salt and pepper to taste and chopped cucumber and quartered hard cooked eggs. Serve cold with sour cream or yogurt, fresh chopped dill and chopped scallions. This is a solid idea, the only problem is that it is the total wrong time of year for cold soup. Of course beet soup can be eaten hot, but I'm not as partial to it myself.

Egg Curry - I had a delicious egg curry at a friends house not that long ago that came to mind while I stood staring at the fourteen eggs taking up space next to the milk cartons. Saute coriander seeds, add chopped onions, garlic and tomatoes (canned is fine), simmer and add spices - either your own mix of tumeric, ground coriander, garam masala and or use a good quality curry powder (such as Penzey's Spice Company's)... add eight whole hard cooked eggs to simmering tomato and water and simmer. Cut eggs in half or quarters before serving and sprinkle with chopped cilantro. Serve over white rice. If you are really feeling lazy - just go buy a jar of curry simmer sauce at Trader Joe's and simmer the eggs in that. Maybe add some spinach or cauliflower or whatever vegetables you can think of.


Other sources for recipes that use hard boiled eggs:

>> Try this website: http://www.inmamaskitchen.com/SEASONS/Easter/eastereggs.html

>> Or at least find comfort in knowing that you are not alone in your dilemma: http://www.chowhound.com/topics/389660

>> More ideas - http://homecooking.about.com/od/toprecipes/tp/hardboiledeggs.htm


According to Cooking Light Magazine, hard boiled eggs should be eaten within a week of being cooked... the count down begins.

Good Luck.

2 comments:

Kizz said...

I love egg salad. Love deviled eggs, and a local restaurant does a "Deviled Egg of the Day". It's now my favorite restaurant.

I'm on Weight Watchers now, my egg consumption is severely limited, especially when you start adding mayo.

How many eggs left?

Kizz said...

I thought of you often yesterday but unfortunately not when I was near a computer AND could remember your URL. (My computer was in transit and could not be consulted.) BUT! I am wildly curious as to what you chose as your birthday meal(s). Do tell, please! Did it involve hard boiled eggs?

Many happy returns of the day.